This recipe comes from Nutrition Stripped. It is called the Skillet Chocolate Cornmeal cake. What is great about this recipe is that it uses coconut flour, coconut oil, dark chocolate and almond milk. Anyone who is looking for a healthy mix of good fats has certainly found their dessert with this recipe. additionally, many of the ingredients used to sweeten the dish can be substituted for low or non calorie sweeteners if you are looking to reduce the calorie content or sugars in your diet. The photography used for this recipe is fantastic. For anyone in need of nutritional coaching who likes the look of this dessert, consider working with Mckel of Nutrition Stripped.
- ½ tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 ounce dark chocolate (60-80% cacao)
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 whole egg, beaten
- 1 egg white, beaten
- 1 tablespoon brown rice flour
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal, ground into a flour
- 1 tablespoon coconut flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ cup almond milk
- Pinch of sea salt
Image Credit: Nutrition Stripped
- Grease with coconut oil two 6-ounce ramekins or 1 9-inch cast iron skillet.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a saucepan, melt the coconut oil and chocolate over low heat, stirring to make sure the chocolate doesn’t burn. Once smooth, stir in maple syrup and vanilla.
- Add the brown rice flour, cornmeal, then add the beaten whole egg and egg white and whisk until everything is incorporated. Add almond milk and continue to stir.
- Use a spatula to divide the batter evenly between the two ramekins or pour into 1 cast iron skillet if making 1 large cake.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 18-20 minutes or until a tester comes out clean.
- To serve: dollop fresh coconut whip cream and fresh berries on top.